Students with Overseas Qualifications
This section is aimed at students with overseas qualifications who would like to take official postgraduate studies (Master or PhD) at the UIB. Such students are not required to have their degrees officially recognised by the Spanish education authorities. Access to a programme shall in no way imply recognition of the prior degree held by the interested party, or its recognition for any other purposes than to access master's degree studies. Students with overseas degrees recognised by the Spanish Ministry of Education will follow the pre-registration process undertaken by students with Spanish degrees.
If you are interested in having your overseas qualification (bachelor or master) officially recognised by the Spanish education authorities, please contact the Spanish Ministry of Universities.
If you are interested in having your overseas PhD qualification officially recognised in Spain, please visit the 'Equivalence Statement' section on the UIB Doctoral School website.
Requirements regarding the translation of documents for the purpose of admission to postgraduate studies at the University of the Balearic Islands.
According to the agreement reached in the UIB Governing Board on 26 January 2010, the translation of the degree or academic diploma and official academic transcript shall be carried out as specified below.
- Documents referred to in the section on Original documents drawn up in Spanish, Catalan, English, French, Italian or Portuguese:
- No translation is necessary
- A degree or academic diploma drawn up in any other language different from the ones listed in the above section requires translation into Catalan or Spanish. The translation of the degree or academic diploma must be done by:
- Diplomatic or consular authorities of Spain abroad. See sub-section "Translation through diplomatic channels".
- Diplomatic or consular authorities of the country that issued the degree in Spain. See sub-section "Translation through diplomatic channels".
- A certified translator duly authorised and registered in Spain in the register published by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (MAEC). See sub-section "Translation through a certified translator".
- Official academic transcript drawn up in any language other than the ones listed in section 1:
- Translation is required by an authorised translator. The translation may be into Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Italian or Portuguese. It is not mandatory for the translation to be done by a certified translator or through consular channels.
(Requirements concerning translation of documents)
Spanish diplomatic representations in the country of origin of the documents may translate or validate translations.
Diplomatic representations in Spain may translate or validate translations of documents issued in their country.
There are two possibilities for translating documents issued abroad:
The most frequent case is for embassies and consulates not to offer a translation service. Nevertheless, they do sometimes certify the correctness of translations carried out by other means, through a stamp that accredits the accuracy of the translation.
This case is the same as the above: the translation will be valid if the translation is accredited by the embassy or consulate in Spain.
This translation is valid for any other formality carried out in the public administration in Spain (for instance, recognition of the degree), and for this reason you are recommended to submit a certified copy to the UIB and to keep the original translations, which may be useful in the future.
The most common procedure is for the translation to be made by a translator from outside the embassy (or consulate) and subsequently validated by them.
At any rate, the diplomatic representation that makes or certifies the translation must certify the correctness or accuracy of the translation.
(Requirements regarding the translation of documents)
|The translator must be part of the updated list of certified translators, which is published by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (MAE)
This translation is valid for any other formality that is carried out in the public administration in Spain (for instance, recognition), and for this reason you are recommended to submit certified copies and to keep the original translations, which may be useful in the future.